The Ten Favorite Myths:
1. Jesus Christ was only a great moral teacher.
*Matt 13:34-35 “..All these things Jesus said to the crowds in parables; indeed, he said nothing to them without a parable. This was to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet:
I will open my mouth in parables;
I will utter what has been hidden since the foundation of the world.”
2. There is no evidence that Jesus rose from the dead.
*Matt 28: 1-10
3. Science is in conflict with Christian faith.
*John 4:48 “…So Jesus said to him, ‘Unless you see signs and wonders you will not believe.'”
4. It doesn’t matter what you believe, all religions are basically the same
*Acts 4:12 “…And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”
5. Christianity is just a crutch for the weak.
* 1 Cor 1:26 “…For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth.”
6. People become Christians through social conditioning.
* 1 Cor 15:9-10 “…For I am the least of the apostles, unworthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.
7. Christianity stifles personal freedom.
8. Christianity is other-worldly and irrelevant to modern life.
*Heb 12:1-2 “…Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
9. The Bible is unreliable and not to be trusted.
* 2 Peter 1:16 “…For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty.”
10. All the evil and suffering in the world proves there is no God.
-Notes from MacArthur Bible Commentary (1368)