Jesus uses 7 prominent “I AM” metaphors to describe himself in the Gospel of John. Each of these comparisons reinforce John’s theme of Jesus as the Messiah and Son of God. Moreover, they identify Jesus as the sole means to the Father and to obtaining salvation. However, within each metaphor, we find spiritual realities concerning the person of Jesus Christ. By taking a look at each, I’m hoping that we all get a small glimpse into Christ’s trustworthiness.
1. “I am the bread of life”
– Jesus is equally essential to all.
– He sustains our lives.
– He satisfies our desires.
– He nourishes our souls.
2. “I am the light of the world”
– Jesus guides our lives.
– He exposes sin and keeps us from it.
– He gives us the power to discern right from wrong…truth from error.
– He illuminates truth in our hearts and minds.
– He provides warmth, security, and clarity.
3. “I am the door of the sheep”
– Jesus protects.
– He leads to peace.
– He provides security, proper pasture, life abundant.
4. “I am the good shepherd”
– Jesus is Good.
– He is sacrificial.
– He cares deeply for his own.
– He has all authority.
– He guides and directs.
5. “I am the resurrection and the Life”
– Jesus has power over death.
– He restores and makes new.
6. “I am the way, the truth, and the life”
– All things consist in Jesus.
– He is the believer’s reassurance.
– He goes before us and establishes our path.
– He removes all hindrances.
7. “I am the true vine”
– Jesus is the source of strength for the believer.
– He refreshes.
So much more could be said!